Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Standing Correction

I really appreciated the clear cut instructions on what we are to do when another sees it as their place to give us instruction, correction, or suggestion.
1. Be Gentle... this is huge! Our first reaction is to clam up and yell. Or completely shut down and get angry. I have trouble just being cognizant of my face when someone is saying something that could moderately be interpreted as offensive. We want so badly to disagree, to shout aloud, "You are wrong!", the very last instinct is to be gentle, and approachable, and to listen.
2. Agree... Agreement is a powerful tool in any situation, and I think almost the needed step to controlling behavior and later instinct when facing criticism.
3.Gratitude... thanking someone for criticism... extraordinary... I don't need to expound.
4. Asking for prayer... Icing on the humble cake of this whole interaction, in the face of hurt or pain of what must be changed.

I think I will have to practice implementing these one by one. All at once seems a bit overwhelming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment